Wednesday, August 27, 2014

5 dice order of operation game.

This is a really nice app for students to practice their order of operations.  Students have the choice of 5games.
1. Addition and Subtraction
2. Multiplication and Division
3. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
4. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division with parenthesis.
5 Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division with parenthesis and exponents.

In this app, you select which game you would like to play.  Once its open you have a target number to aim for.  You can combine dice to make multi-digit numbers with as few or as many operation signs.  The first time I tried this app, I selected addition and subtraction.  I had 5 dice with these numbers 4,4,4,2,1 and the plus or minus signs and a target of 52.  It took me a while to figure out I could combine dice to make numbers so I ended up with 44 + 12 - 4 to get 52.
I see this as a great app to use for grades 4 and up.  In the high school, it can be used to help scaffold student who are weak in using the order of operations.
You can find the app here and it is free.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/5-dice-order-operations-game/id572774867?mt=8


No comments:

Post a Comment