Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pre-Calculus Trigonometry

What I like best about this app is that it gives the student a pre-test before they can begin using the app itself because the pre-test is given to help the program decide where to start.  In addition, if you begin a section but close out, you cannot go back in for at least 10 minutes and it tells you that you need to read the material at least three times with a break of 10 min between because that is what research indicates is best for learning. 
I just went through the test choosing whatever answer I wanted.  It began me with terms such as the Pythagorean theorem, Right triangle, Sin all the way to the law of sines and cosines.  The section on the Pythagorean theorem goes into a lovely explanation with diagrams showing how it actually works.  I like some of the explanations they give for various topics.
The app will not let the student take the Post-test for at least two weeks.  There is a review section set up to review terms learned in the learn the terms sections.  I would say this is a nice app for learning the terminology for maximum success and it fits in quite well with a traditional trig program. The way it is set up, you could have the students read a few terms each day and review terms everyday or as you teach certain sections.  Then they could take the post test at the end of the course.  I see this as becoming a part of my trig class.

No comments:

Post a Comment