Friday, June 9, 2017

Desmos.com

Gui, Interface, Internet, Program  On Wednesday, I learned more about the offerings at Desmos.com.  If you don't know them, they provide a wonderful graphing calculator which does not require students to rewrite equations into the y= format.

They offer activities which can be downloaded, personalized and come complete with a teachers guide to help prepare to use it.

In addition, they offer something called polygraphs, activities composed of three rounds.  In the first round, the student plays a round against the computer.  This is where they learn to play the game.  In the second round, they are paired with another student.  One student makes a choice while the other student asks questions which can only be answered with a yes or no.  In between rounds, students answer more questions designed to help them learn vocabulary and strategy. 

I'd never heard of these but they sound really great and I can hardly wait to try some in the fall.  In addition, I several activities are bundled together based on topics such as systems of linear equations, linear equations, conic sections etc.  I've already checked out one activity in the linear equation section, my students will love.  It requires students to place the plane so its on the correct approach to land between the lights.  It also requires them to find the equation for a plane to take off. 

Furthermore, you can preview the activity and try it just like a student would.  I tried the plane one and loved it.  The math is based on topic rather than grade level but if you need to adjust the activities, it is easy to do so. 

If you want to create a custom activity, you have the ability to do that.  You can include graphs, math equations, notes, movies, and so much more.  No matter whether you use one of their activities or create your own, students do not need an account because all activities use an entrance code. 

I have not looked at this site for a few years and I'm impressed with everything it has to offer.  Please check it out here and have a blast.  Let me know what you think.  Sorry its not very long but I'm exhausted from attending the conference.  I'll share more next week.  Monday, I'll share the five assessment tools I learned about which seem to work well. 

Have a nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment