Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Math Castle


 I downloaded another app designed to help students practice their algebraic skills.  Math Castle has a free version which allows you to access the first level problems for all operations and mixed.  If you like it, you can upgrade to the full version for $1.99.

Once you decide which operation you want to practice, you will be given a page with options for the numbers involved in the problems.
You have a choice of the numbers involved in the problems.  It means the student can start out with easy problems and work up to the problems with larger numbers.

Once the game starts, problems begin to cross the sky in sun like carriers.  the problems are presented in several different ways such as b = 17 -15 or 17 + b = 27 so the student is not always answering questions with the same format.




The way to score gold is to solve the equation, touch the sun so a ball of energy flies down and destroys it if it is the correct answer.  If its wrong, the sun keeps coming but you can try again.

As the student proves their ability, the number of suns increases and begins to arrive faster and faster.  The early ones allow time to use a paper and pencil but as the attack speeds up, it requires the use of mental math to solve the problem.

I found it fun but what I find fun, students do not always find fun.  I am going to have a few students play with it to let me know how they like it.  If they like it, I can add it to the I-pads.  I do like the way it allows students to experience problems in different ways so they do not get used to it in only one format.

Let me know what you think.  Have a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment