Monday, December 14, 2015

I think I'm Finally Getting It!

Fireworks, Rocket, New Year'S Day Over the past few weeks, my teaching style is changing.  In stead of introducing and teaching a single topic for a few days, then moving on.  I am giving a short introduction to something I'll be teaching in a couple of days, adding more information and practice to the main topic and reminding them of materials we just got done doing.

Thistle, Symbol, Scotland, FloweringRight now, in Geometry we are studying the Pythagorean Theorem in preparation for learning the basic trigonometric ratios.  I found a worksheet that also included an exercise on having students determine the type of triangle using the Pythagorean Theorem.

So today, I showed them how to use the results of the Pythagorean Theorem to determine if the Triangle is Obtuse, Right, or Acute.  In addition, I slid in the Triangle Inequality Theorem so they learned how to tell if the lengths would make a triangle. 

It actually made more sense to the students when I put these all together rather than teaching them separately.  I felt like the students actually understood the material better this way.  I plan to continue doing things this way.

I've also found that I teach the original lesson and have them do the math the long way, then let them use the calculator to finish it so they can focus on the lesson and not getting messed up on the calculations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment