Sunday, April 28, 2013

Back to learning menus

I've been giving a lot of thought to learning menus and writing.  I've worked hard this year to increase their verbal communications by asking why, how did you come up with that answer, and other questions. I have been projecting warm-up and standardized test questions on the smart board.
Unfortunately, they are not as strong on the written, so I am toying with the idea of having students create pamphlets or jingles/raps or create some sort of digital presentation on showme, iphoto, or make a pod cast. 
In the past when I've had students create digital presentations, they've struggled with the creativity.  Many of these students have grown up in an oral culture and have little if any printed material in their homes.  So if I ask them to create a printed ad, I'll have to show them an ad and discuss the parts.  The nice thing is that I can bring a few magazines along to give them ideas and they can take photos to keep a record for themselves so they have a guide. 
This is something I'm going to be working on over the summer so I set it up properly and introduce it slowly over the year.  Maybe start with a choice of two digital projects and increase the number of choices over the school year.
If anyone has suggestions on setting up and using digital learning menus, I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment