Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Too many apps not enough time.

I read about what others are having their students doing in math classes and want to try them in my classroom.  Unfortunately, I am a bit like a child in a candy store and want to try to integrate everything I can into my classroom but it won't work.  A little more than half my students are classified ELL so they do not always have a good grasp on Mathematical language while others are still struggling with the basics such as their multiplication tables.  With the increased pressure for students to do better with standardized test, the new common core standards and assorted dictates by the state, I am coming to realize that I cannot do all the activities I want to do.  I have to take a step back and really look at what concepts so I need my students to grasp, what vocabulary do they need to have and what is the best way to accomplish it.  I've got apps that will quiz my students on certain math topics but I'm not using those as much as I should. I've found websites which have nice instruction that I don't use.  I think over the holidays, I need to rethink my teaching to focus on those topics and see if I can improve my integration of the iPads in the classroom.  It is too easy to get caught up in using apps just to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment