Thursday, April 24, 2014

Baseball math

Yesterday, I spent the period going over some mathematical formulas for baseball statistics for use in my Algebra II class today.  I've arranged for them to have a statistical lesson via videoconferencing today.  We discovered that the batting average formula is similar to a simple one step equations and can be solved the same way.  The slugging formula is a bit more complex but similar to the formula for finding your GPA.   I was able to introduce the students to statistical deviation which is a topic I don't usually get to so this is really pretty good.
appzest has a EZ statistics lite app which tests students on various topics of statistics.  The lite version is free and has limited questions but has a data base of questions which can be used for students to test their knowledge.  I am going to go looking for apps that might explain more about probability and stats over the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment