Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Increasing reading and writing using the iPad.

Wednesday is the day I work with my students on learning to solve word problems.  Since so many are classified as ELL, I make them write down the answers to the following questions:
1. What do I know?
2. What do I need to find?
3.  What things do I need to consider such as special formulas, the operation, additional information to keep in mind or other things.
4. The work.

I need to start using something like Showbie so they can annotate, underline, etc any information in the word problem before writing the information on their worksheet.  I think taking the time to underline, identify and comment on things before writing the information down will help increase their English, cut down on guessing and get them to slow down and really check out the information. I am hopeful this skill will transfer to the mandated testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment