Friday, May 3, 2013

plans already

The school year here is down to the last two weeks.  We are finishing up inverse functions and I"m having the students use  a graphing app to graph their inverse functions.  Its been educational for me in that I will have to figure out news ways of teaching the material so they can see a continuity between the equations and their inverses.  They treat each problem as a new problem, different from all the others before.  I think this might have something to do with the local culture.
I had down loaded a couple apps that advertised they could be used by students to practice algebra or geometry.  The problem with these two apps is simply that neither the student nor I have a way to select the level or type of questions.  Since I had no voice in the selection of the questions, my students were getting questions that might be on material at the end of the year rather than at that moment.  In addition, the questions might quiz the student on something I am not teaching because it is AP material. 
I am going to explore apps over the summer to see which ones can be used to create more indepth teaching experiences for the students.  I want to use activities that are further up on Blooms digital taxonomy.  I want them to experience more authentic work.  Over the past few days, I have taken time to ask students where we use certain things in real life to try to build their knowledge base.
As I check out apps, I'll let you know what I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment