Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Preparing lesson plans

I am rewriting my lesson plans to utilize technology better.  One of the things I've done is to look at what I usually teach and divide the topics into units and not as a weekly thing.  Next I am breaking down the units into the concepts they really need to know to move on in Math vs trying to get through the chapters in the book.  Once I identify the concepts, I figure out what they should already know.  For instance in algebra 1 and 2, students will be using fractions with variables.  I know they struggle with finding LCM and GCF using only numerical denominators.  In order to find the LCM and GCF, they need to know prime factoring.  So my first unit in algebra 1 will be a review unit to cover prime numbers and prime factorization, LCM, GCF, expressions, and order of operations.  Simultaneous to breaking down things, I have been checking the iTunes Store for apps that can easily reinforce these concepts.  I am also going to set up work in Subtext and a couple other apps to ensure that they actually read material associated with the topic.  I want to make sure that any technology I use will further their understanding of math.  Tomorrow, I am going to review a nice game on finding primes.

No comments:

Post a Comment