Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Neat app for word problems.

Found a new app called Subtext.  It allows you to take a book or web page or document and layer things like questions, quizzes, assignments, etc to make it more educational than just reading.  Right now they do not do PDF's but they are working on it and hope to have that facet available by next school year.  I've heard great things about it and it seems to be mostly used for literature or reading.  I tried to think of where I could use this actual application in my math classroom and at first thought about worksheets.  Once they get the PDF feature up and running that would be a possibility but this morning, it hit me.  Word Problems.  Most of my students take the numbers provided in the word problem and guess the operation, hoping for the correct answer.  If I used word problems with this application I could incorporate the KWC  (What do I want to know, what do I need to find and what considerations or special conditions do I need to keep track of).  This is something I could easily layer into the material.   Honestly I do not do enough on word problems and this could give me a tool to help them practice doing word problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment