Friday, May 2, 2014

Relating math to real life

In my first period we are doing more vocational math till the end of year and the students are really enjoying it.  Today one of their assignments was to use the internet to research for blueprints such as how are they made, where did the name blueprint come from and how are they used.  Continuing the theme, I asked all my classes to tell me about one of their video/digital games and the statistics that the game kept tract of.  Then I asked the students to describe the  math they found in a TV show or a movie and what the math applied to.  Both questions brought forth a lot of discussion and the students had a good time explaining their favorite digital game or TV show.  In addition to game shows, they brought up "Are you smarter than a 5th grader", Sons of guns, and other such shows.  I enjoyed the conversation that took place in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment