Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Geoboard app.

Cubes, Hundred, Maths  Last night as I pondered a way to help my students translate the written directions for transformations, I realized I have the Geoboard app on the iPads.  Geoboards are the perfect vehicle for this so later today when I teach Geometry,  I will have the students use the Geoboards to help them see the movement.

They can create the coordinate plane using one color of rubber band for the x and y axis.  Then they put the original shape so they have the starting point.  As they read the directions to move the shape, they can use the rubber bands to make the new shape.

I think by following this step by step, they can physically do the transformation and check their answers.  Due to cultural learning's, they want to know if each and every problem is "right".  I want to give them ways to check their work  without having to tell them it is right. 

Since they didn't talk about manipulatives for high school teachers when I got my teaching credentials, I've had to learn by trial and error.  I did a quick search on the internet and found this lovely pdf from Math Forums on using geoboards in the classroom.  The 37 page document starts with the Pythagorean Theorem and Area followed by 6 complete lessons.  Yes its dated 1995 but the information is as applicable today as it was in the past.

This short article from NRICH which includes a few games that can be played with the geoboads.  Although this article is geared for elementary teachers, the information can easily be applied to secondary. 

Finally, check out Dr. Nicki's Guided Math Blog for some awesome links on using geoboards for guided math activities.  It is well organized and awesome ideas.  Please check it out if you need ideas.  These resources are going to make geometry more dynamic this year.  Yeah!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment