Monday, September 22, 2014

Fractions

I have high school 9th and 10th graders for Algebra I.  Today I had them draw 3/4 in three different ways.  It was amazing how many either wrote 3/4, 3 to 4 or 3:4 or drew a circle, a square or a rectangle that had three parts out of four shaded in.  I showed them it could be that or three items shaded in out of four or three out of four groups.  So towards the end of the period, I put them on a fractions app by BrainingCamp to learn more about fractions.  It starts out with lots of visuals as they begin what are fractions and moves on to more complex topics.  I think I am going to have them work on it this week. 
I've found the high school students I work with are wonderful at the mechanics but have lost sight of the visual concept behind them and that is one thing I am working on. I hope this helps make their mathematical understanding more comprehensive and much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment