Wednesday, May 13, 2015

HUP Algebra part 2



The other day, I took another look at HUP Algebra and discovered a part of it that just jumped out at me.  It is a free app and covers solving one and two step equations. In addition, it gives students instruction in solving multi-step equations and equations with distribution.

Each topic shows an written example and an example using manipulatives. At the bottom of the page you can choose try it, random questions or watch a video showing how to solve the problem.

If you choose next, you will get a screen similar to the picture on the left.  This is a nice way to show how we solve one step equations.  I think this way almost makes more sense than the traditional way.  I plan to show solving this way in addition to the traditional method so students are exposed to more than one method of solving.

I like the way this second screen also a try it and a video choice. Once you get to solving multi-step equations they assume the student has practiced the individual steps and does not need to practice the opposites the way they needed to in the one step equations.

I know that I have some low performing Algebra I students coming up from 8th grade next year and this will help them learn to solve one, two, and multi-step equations.  This will be good to help scaffold students in learning this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment