Monday, May 11, 2015

Space Blocks

I found this cool little app called Space Blocks. It is designed to help students learn more about working in other bases such as base 2, base 3 or any other base.

Space blocks has two modes they use to help students learn to change from base 10 to another base.  The first is showing it in cubes or in some other visual way so they get a better idea of how to do the conversion.

The other way uses columns and chips so they see it as the base to the 0, 1, 2, 3, etc.  Honestly, I have only done the way with the visual display because I found that lots of fun and I wasn't sure how to use the part with the chips.

The help section has information on using the app, adding and subtracting and a few other things people might want to know about.  What I like about this app is that it is very user friendly and each time you choose a base, there is a welcome to the planet speech where the greeter explains the base they use.

From my point of view as an adult, I had so much fun playing with it and this is one I plan to put on my iPads for next year and I am going to share this with everyone in the upper elementary.  Best of all, its free!!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment