Tuesday, May 5, 2015

stop motion videos

I got a stop motion app so I could play with it as a way of meeting a standard.  The standard states: "Identify the shapes of two-dimensional cross-sections of three-dimensional objects and identify three-dimensional objects generated by rotations of two dimensional objects.

iCrosss
I tried to make a stop motion video showing how to make a cube from the flat net.  This allows the students to see how the two-dimensional paper folds into a three-dimensional cube.  I could have added audio if I wanted. I hope this works on the blog. 

I plan to remake this and add audio with information on finding surface area. I think I'll talk about surface area first, then put the net together.  I also found this nice app iCrosss which has some really nice three-dimensional shapes you can move around to explore the shape.  I have the paid version (99 cents) because I snagged it on the day it was offered free. There is also a free version but I don't know the differences.

The paid version has a huge list of three - dimensional shapes to choose from.  Once the student chooses a shape, such as the square pyramid as in the above photo, they can use their finger to move it around, look at it carefully, count the different two-dimensional shapes put together to create the three-dimensional shape.

Students can also access the information page with a description, the number of vertices, edges, faces and find the formulas for edge width, surface area and volume.

It only covers shapes with edges and sharp vertices, so if you are expecting to find spheres, or cones, they are not included.

No comments:

Post a Comment