Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pictionary.

Today while teaching Geometry, I answered a students question of what are corresponding angles by skipping across the floor.  Earlier this week, I did a number - skip - number cheer and the physical movement reminded her.  I realized I try to come up with physical movements as much as possibly to remind them of mathematical ideas. 
My mind suddenly brewed the idea that I could have students do pictionary using the smartboard in the classroom (I have a fairly small class) and the students could write the answers on their ipads and show them so I can see at a glance if its right. 
The other thing I am working on right now is importing a scanned blank bingo sheet so I can have my students write the words and pictures seperately on a 4 by 4 or 5 by 5 bingo grid.  I like to play bingo as a way of practicing vocabulary.
Finally I downloaded a smartboard presentation on solving 2 step equations that had a wonderful analogy for how to do it.  You start by untying your shoes which are the addition and subtraction step, then you take your socks off which represents the multiplication and division steps.  I love it because it makes an easy reminder to students when they ask "What do I do next?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment