Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Ways to increase literacy in Math.

This week and next, I will be going through some word problems from the palette of problems  in the NCTM middle school teachers magazine from May.  I am having them go through the following questions as they work on the project.
1. What do we know?
2. What do we find?
3. What do we need to consider in order to solve it?
4. Solving it.
In about three weeks, I am going to give them a choice of creating a cartoon, making a book, or creating something artistic that will show the information from the four questions.  All of these projects will be created on the iPad using any of the apps.  If two or three students want to work together to create a movie, I would allow them to do that.
In the meantime, I want to get a green screen app, a whiteboard app, and a couple other apps that would allow students who are more of an artist to be able to complete the assignment.  This will have a definite time period and rubric associated with it. 
I want to show that math is not always pencil and paper calculations.

No comments:

Post a Comment