Saturday, September 5, 2015

Geometry Lab Book

Geometry, Nothing, Color, BackgroundThanks to Josh Fisher for this lead.  I read a blog entry by Henry Picciotto and decided to explore the rest of his site.  He offers so much including a nice new way to show functions and a free geometry lab book with 78 activities that can be used in middle school and high school.

The book is 266 pages long with 11 chapters on everything from angles to polynomials to area and perimeter. It is designed to use pattern blocks, geoboards and other manipulatives you might have around the classroom.  I have some pattern blocks in my classroom and the first activity on angles uses them.  Yeah!

My expertise is in integrating technology, not manipulatives.  If the manipulative is via an app or a website, I know how to use it effectively but it does not have the same kinesthetic feel as the real item.

School, Teacher, MathsI am glad to have a book  that was designed for use in the upper levels.  I am a firm believer in using manipulatives but they did not train us in anything other than lecturing when I went through my teachers education program.  If I had trained in elementary school, I'd have known how to use manipulatives but I didn't. So I am always on the lookout for material like this.



Thank you Henry for this wonderful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment