Tuesday, September 15, 2015

One More Book

School, Book, Science, Physics, NuclearI stumbled across The Algebra Teacher's Guide to Reteaching Essential Concepts and Skills by Judith A. Muschla, Gary Robert Muschla and Erin Muschla.  It has 150 mini-lessons for correcting common mistakes.

Although it is designed to correct common mistakes, I like the lessons as an introduction to the topic or as a homework assignment. There are teaching notes for each topic but I like the worksheets because there is a small set of instructions a student can follow, an example with the math and 8 to 10 problems.  Just enough to do in class.

The number of problems is small enough that the students do not feel overwhelmed.  I used one today on solving two step equations.  One of my students actually read the instructions when she got stuck on a problem.  Understand this is a group of students who hate reading so this was a great start.  I think she liked the instructions because they were short and to the point.  She did not have to sort through a lot of material to find the relevant information.

The teaching notes page has an explanation, suggestions on how to teach the material, a small extra help suggestion and the answers.  Furthermore, every topic has a teaching notes page and at the very back are four pages that identify the common core state standards for mathematics.  Yes.  This way I know what standard I am addressing in class.


I am so glad to have found this book and the other two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment